One of the best ways to take a cheap holiday is to cut down on accommodation costs. The travellers’ tastes are always different, and some prefer hostels, others low-medium budget hotels, others high-level hotels, but without a doubt, the thing in common is that we all want to save money! Finding a suitable accommodation is a crucial part of the journey, and it can have an enormous impact on the expense if not chosen correctly (How to save money on flights, transportations, tour/activities, or travel insurance? If you what to know more about travel resources, click here).
1. The most important thing (after the price) is the location of the hostel/hotel. Especially in big cities, you can waste a lot of time and money on transportation if you are far away from the city centre and the main attractions. Therefore you can save money if you pay a little bit more for your accommodation but pay less for transportation and it is even more convenient. When you book accommodation, always remember to check what means of transport are available next to your location. The first time we visited Dubai, we chose to stay in Deira, one of the cheapest neighbourhoods in the city, where we found an excellent deal for a 4 star hotel. At the end of our stay, we realised that we spent a lot of money on taxis (unfortunately, Dubai has only 2 underground/overground lines) and wasted time because it was far from the downtown and its attractions.
2. If you can, try to book always in advance. You’ll always find a place to stay, but if you want to have a wide choice of accommodations and good deals, don’t wait until the last minute! It’s always better to book in advance during the peak season or festivities like Christmas or NYE when the prices increase considerably and cheaper accommodations run out in a blink of an eye.
3. Search for a Hostel first. Without a doubt, it is the most affordable choice and if you are a solo traveller it is a fantastic place where to meet people from all over the world and maybe find travel buddies. If you don’t like dorms, most hostels have private rooms, so you get the comfort of your own space. HOSTELWORLD.COM is the best hostel accommodation site with the most extensive inventory, best search interface, and highest availability. Just enter your destination and dates, and you’ll instantly get a detailed list of places available, prices for shared dorms and private rooms and reviews from other travellers.
4. Search for apartment rental sites. It’s the best option to save money during a stay in a big city if you’re travelling with a group instead of booking multiple hotel rooms or even dorm beds. There are many websites where homeowners rent out their homes or apartments. You’ll have the comforts of home, the chance to stay in a non-tourist location, meet a local, and pay less than the price of a hotel room. Plus, it would help if you also considered that the apartments come with a kitchen allowing you to save on food. Our top choice for rental apartments is AIRBNB.
5. Search for Hotel deals. Several websites for Hotels/guest house/B&B allow you to find the right deals or discounts. Always check if the breakfast is included, the check-in/out time, if they have a free shuttle service from/to the airport and above all, don’t pay full price! You’ll always find a better-discounted price. We always choose accommodations with free cancellation; it costs a bit more, but the free cancellation allows you not to waste money if you have to cancel your trip, change your mind, or find a better fare. Our top website is BOOKING.COM since they have a wide range of accommodations worldwide and always excellent discounts! Anyway, don’t forget to check AGODA.COM and HOTELS.COM for other deals.
6. If you decide to travel to Asia, we recommend checking alternative networks such as 12GO.ASIA.COM and TRIP.COM. They have a wide range of deals covering all Asian countries, and even though they offer accommodations worldwide, they are two specific platforms for Asian countries.