One of the best ways to take a cheap holiday is to cut down on accommodation costs. Obviously the travelers’ tastes are always different, some prefer hostels, others low-medium budget hotels, others high-level hotels, but with no doubt, the thing in common is that we all want to save money! Finding a suitable accommodation is a crucial part of the journey, and it can have an enormous impact on the expense if not chosen correctly (How to save money on flights, transportations, tour/activities, or travel insurance?If you what to know more about travel resources, click here).
1) The most important thing (after the price) is the location of the hostel/hotel. Especially in big cities, you can waste a lot of time and money for transportation if you are far away from the city center and the main attractions. Therefore you can save money at the end if you pay a little bit more for your accommodation but pay less for transportations and it is even more convenient. When you book an accommodation, always remember to check what means of transport are available next to your location. The first time we visited Dubai we chose to stay in Deira, one of the most cheap neighborhoods of the city where we found a very good deal for a 4 stars hotel. At the end of our stay we realized that we spent a lot of money in taxis (unfortunately Dubai has only 2 underground/overground lines) and wasted time because it was really far from the downtown and its attractions.
2) If you can, try to book always in advance. With no doubt you’ll always find a place to stay, but if you want to have a wide choice of accommodations and good deals, don’t wait until the last minute! It’s always better to book in advance during the peak season or festivities like Christmas or NYE when the prices increase considerably and the cheaper accommodations run out in a blink of an eye.
3) Search for an Hostel first. With no doubt is the cheapest choice and if you are a solo traveler is a fantastic place where to meet people from all over the world and maybe find travel buddies. If you don’t like dorms, most hostels have private rooms so you get the comfort of your own space. HOSTELWORLD.COM is the best hostel accommodation site with the largest inventory, best search interface, and highest availability. Just enter your destination and dates and you’ll instantly be provided with a detailed list of places available, prices for both shared dorms and private rooms and reviews from other travelers .
4) Search for apartment rental sites. It’s the best option to save money during a stay in a big city if you’re traveling with a group instead of booking multiple hotel rooms or even dorm beds. There are many websites where homeowners rent out their homes or apartments. You’ll have the comforts of home, the chance to stay in a non-tourist location, meet a local and above all pay less than the price of a hotel room. Plus you should also consider that the apartments come with the kitchen allowing you to save on food too. Our top choice for rental apartments is AIRBNB.
5) Search for Hotel deal. There are several websites for Hotels/guest house/B&B that allow you to find good deals or a discounts. Always check if the breakfast is included, the check in/out time, if they have a free shuttle service from/to the airport and above all don’t pay full price! You’ll always find a better discounted price. We personally always choose accommodations with free cancellation, it costs a bit more but the free cancellation allows you not to waste money in case you have to cancel your trip, you change your mind or… you find a better fare. Our top website is BOOKING.COM since the have a huge range of accommodations all over the world and always very good discounts!Anyway, don’t forget to check also AGODA.COM and HOTELS.COM for other deals.
6) If you decide to travel to Asia, we recommend you to check alternative networks such as AGODA.COM and TRIP.COM, because they have a very wide range of deals covering all Asian countries and, even they offer accomodations all over the world, they are two specific platforms for asian countries.